When thinking about Game Culture, I immediately think of MMO’s. I cannot pass much judgement on this subject because I have never experienced the desire to continue playing one for more than twenty minutes. Granted I haven’t had the opportunity to play some of the more popular ones such as World of Warcraft of Everquest. There are other Game Culture that I am a part of. We have created a Game Society by coming together on the Game Art Design course, which has introduced us to Blogging and writing about games, a culture in itself. When we go out to the pub and talk about game related topics, then go back to someone’s flat to finish the evening with some games, we are reinforcing a different form of Games culture.
There is an overlap between the real world and the virtual game world. Dr. James Rosser conducted a study on trainee surgeons researching the positive effects on video games he found that ‘The performance of trainees in surgery was significantly improved when they played Super Monkey Ball for twenty minutes immediately prior to performing surgical procedures’. This shows that the world of games plays a part in many aspects of society.At the moment Game Culture is a huge part of my life. It is my entire education and career and a fairly large part of my social life.
This quote is relevant to games if you think about it...
'What most people in our culture mean by being lovable is essentially a mixture between being popular and having sex appeal' - Erich Fromm
No comments:
Post a Comment