23.3.08

Standing on the shoulders of Giants...

I thought this idea was awesome, look at it, isn't it good?
Letting go - Esao Andrews

I have been thinking about how much emphasis has been put onto 2D art. I'm realizing that being a good 2D artist isn't necessarily what we need.

What is more important is our understanding of the world and the way things work. I'm not just making up excuses because my 2D work isn't so great.

Drawing is a skill, which needs to be learnt and needs to be taught. Understanding the world and what you see is a different skill. Modeling is also a different skill.

I would compare a pencil and paper to 3DSMax and see similaritys. The are both mediums used to translate something from the existing world into another form.

If I studied Human anatomy and produced and anatomically correct 3D model of a human, I have succeeded in understanding the human body, and I have replicated it. I have used my skills in 3D modeling to do so. That does not mean I will be able to draw it, as I have not learnt the sufficient drawing skills.

A surgeon knows the Human anatomy, they can names all your parts, know where they are and know what they look like. Its their job. But, if you asked them to draw it, i bet they would be slightly stumped, because they never learnt to draw.

Everyone has the potential to learn to draw, we just need to sap up the information from those who have already done it. There is no use starting at square one, when its all been done before. There are masters out there that we can learn from.

3D modeling programs and traditional art materials are our tools. These are tools we must master as we master the art of seeing the world and understanding it.

It is unfortunate that now we are all 20 somethings, re-wiring our brain to look at things differently is a very hard thing to do.

A teacher telling us to look at something, and draw what we see isn't good enough. It was never good enough. That method clearly has never worked, and it never will.

Showing people is the key. A teacher who never shows his students how to do things is not a teacher, they are merely a critic.

The reason the nation is full of poor artists is because hardly anyone ever gets shown the way. The abilities disappear before they get the chance to blossom.

'I have learned that what I have not drawn, I have never really seen, and that when I start drawing an ordinary thing, I realize how extraordinary it is' - Frederick Frank

No comments: