More Lateral Thinking (and jokes)...I was thinking about doing another creativity blog, and wanted to write more on lateral thinking. I found this puzzle and spent the last 10 mins talking it over to myself, trying to work it out...
There is a man who lives on the top floor of a very tall building. Everyday he gets the elevator down to the ground floor to leave the building to go to work. Upon returning from work though, he can only travel half of the distance up riding in the elevator and has to walk the rest of the way up unless it's raining! How can this be?
I came up with this...
The distance from the top floor to the ground floor is the same distance vertically, as the distance he has to travel horizontally to get to work. So he has to ride the elevator half of the distance, and walk the other half. Unless its raining, when he would get a taxi.
I was sure this had to be it! but in fact...
The man is very, very short and can only reach halfway up the elevator buttons (assuming the levels of the buttons designating floors increases from bottom to top). However, if it is raining then he will have his umbrella with him and can press the higher buttons using it.
I like my answer allot better anyway.
Another thing I would like to mention is the like between Creativity and humor. It takes a creative mind to invent and understand humor. It is an entire new branch of creativity, with immense variation. What is understood to be humorous various according to culture, age, context, intelligence etc.
Again this form of creativity occurs as a result of personal circumstance. No one persons thought process is the same as another. Although some methods of thinking are conditioned into us, the people that stray away from that conditioning are the true gems!

No comments:
Post a Comment