5.3.07

Week Twenty-One Task: Part One

Two years ago I was in the process of doing my A-levels, and working nearly full time hours at the same time. It’s not really surprising that I didn’t do very well. All of my friends were deciding which courses they were going to spend the next three to four years doing, and I had no idea what I wanted to do at all.

I applied to do a Foundation Diploma Art and Design. I wasn’t ready to start a rest-of-your-life job at this point, so I stayed in education because it was free, and it would give me something to do with my time. I also cut down my working hours to try and improve my grades. Again people started to decide what they wanted to do next. I wanted to apply to study a Philosophy degree, but as I progressed I decided to go for Photography. I applied and got into APU in Cambridge, and I was set to go.

A this point I thought about how the rest of my life was going to turn out, after graduating I would most likely end up working in a studio taking family portraits… and I couldn’t think of anything more boring than that.

It was getting quite late in the year and I was looking online for interesting courses. I found the Game Art Design course and really liked the sound of it. So I wrote my personal statement then and there, and used the Route A applications I had left, even though it was way past the deadline. I managed to get accepted, and a choice between Game Art and Photography is no choice at all.

Up until I did my A-levels I had done extremely well at school. I think the reason for this is that when you are young, school is pretty much your entire life. As I got older and started working and having more responsibilities and commitments, I lost focus for a while on what was really important for me. Now I’m at Uni I want to stay focussed and committed, so I can get the most out of it as possible. Instead of there being separate aspects to my life, like work-home-Uni, it seems as if everything is rolled in together, and all that I do is directed towards obtaining my degree. This isn’t in an intense kind of way, but in a sub-conscious sort of way, and it seems pretty perfect.

No comments: