23.11.06

Week Eight Task

For me the storyline is one of the most important factors in a game. I believe that most games need to have a basic storyline. The kind of enjoyment that i receive from a game is similar to the enjoyment i get from reading a book. Except with a game you are able too interact with the story. David Freeman describes storytelling as 'Emotioneering'. This means that the story will take you on an 'Emotional Journey', making it truthful by having consistency within the characters, being able to identify with characters is also important. I liked the way he said for a storyline to be successful, it must not only impress you, but blow you away. I think this is true for all the work we will do in the gaming industry, as the standard of work is increasing all the time, only the best artists will really prosper. Different people obviously have different ideas for what makes a game. But for me a stunning storyline definitely makes for a better game. If we look to the past, the most memorable games have intriguing storylines, but the standard of artwork within these games is not necessarily important, however advanced it may have seemed at the time. But it seems that today a game needs more than a good storyline to get it on the shelves. High standards must be achieved in graphical quality, sound, and use of latest technology. It seems that storyline is becoming a less important factor in making a game sell. A storyline is an integral part of the game, which cannot be altered. In this sense a playing a game is like reading a book, or watching a film. But to make the story happen a player is required to live it out. I also think that through playing a game things are learnt and remembered, they are part of our memories. A game is something that has to be 'lived' by the player. All games have a storyline. Thinking back to one of the first games 'tennis for two', the concept of two people playing tennis is the basis for a story. Not a very interesting story, but a story none the less. As games developed, so the story's became more complex, until we have modern games with hours of storyline to work through. The importance of storytelling had developed alongside the technology.

"Only those things are beautiful which are inspired by madness and written by reason." - Andre Gide
"It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous." - Robert Benchley

No comments: